Toothpaste...who knew??

So the other day I was sitting at home trying to keep myself busy. I saw Aaron outside mowing the yard and I felt like doing something domestic-y while he was out doing manly things. I looked over on my counter and saw the silver my mom had just passed down to me. My great grandmother had this beautiful silver - teapot, sugar, creamer, and a bigger tea pot. When I found out she was wanting to pass them on I was super excited!! I love all things old especially if they come from our family. It has so much meaning to it. Now, the silver was not in the best condition at all. It had tarnished quite a bit. I knew there was some way I could clean it without going to the store and getting silver cleaner. I had heard of baking soda mixed with water. I went ahead and tried that first, but it was a long process and I knew there had to be something a little easier. I used good ole google and found out that toothpaste would do the job! I ran into our bathroom and grabbed some Crest - the whitening kind with Scope, if you must know. And I went to town on my silver. I have to tell you, the results were pretty amazing if I do say so myself! I was even more shocked when Aaron walked in and said how awesome it looked. Here's somewhat of a before/after shot. I didn't take that great of a before shot, but you get the drift, right?

Just thought I would share my little secret. I'm sure it's not much of a secret, but thought I should pass it along in case you ladies need to clean some silver in your future :) Are there any other household tricks you all can think of? I would love to hear them!

Lucky in Love  – (May 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM)  

Wow! That looks awesome! Great job girlie!

it is everlasting  – (May 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM)  

It looks awesome! I've heard of using toothpaste on rings to make the diamonds super shiny... I may have to try it on my candle sticks though!

Megan  – (May 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM)  

A couple of months ago I did a post about using toothpaste to clean your diamond ring. It makes it really shiny! I still haven't tried it though!

Anonymous –   – (May 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM)  

Wow! It looks so clean. I never knew that about tooth paste!

Unknown  – (May 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM)  

What a difference! Good to know. I learned that vinegar is the perfect cleaner if you have a white/light rug. And the smell goes away once it dries.

Dollface  – (May 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM)  

no way you did that!!! sooo amazing, xxxoooo

katie + bret  – (May 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM)  

wow - I am pretty impressed. The only thing I know is when you move furniture off of carpet and it leaves those indentions in your carpet/rug from where it sat, put an ice cube in each of the spots and they raise right back up!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty  – (May 27, 2009 at 2:07 PM)  

Looks incredible!

Now I'm remembering all of the tarnished silver I have back home . . .

Emily  – (May 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM)  

Omg!! How amazing!! Yeah you!! I'm totally impressed!! Maybe I can do some laying around and polishing silver!! Yeah! I have missed reading it blog!! Missed u

jlc  – (May 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM)  

Hahah! You have an adorable blog!

And this post is just amazing! and useful!

Naturally Caffeinated Family  – (May 27, 2009 at 9:48 PM)  

i love old things passed down from fam, i am so sentimental=)! it looks gorgeous, awesome job! toothpaste, good to know!=)

Elisabeth  – (May 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM)  

i thought this was so cool that i tried it on a couple of very badly tarnished silver spoons that i bought at a thrift store just b/c i liked how they look. and guess what?! they look brand new now! i am so excited about this that i have told several people. haha silly, i know, but very, very cool. lol so thanks!

yours truly...  – (May 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM)  

Well aren't you just a little domestic diva!!! It cleans jewelry really well too! ;)

Heather @ Simple Wives  – (May 28, 2009 at 1:36 PM)  

Wow, that is really cool! :) I'd never heard of that!

Jenny @ Practically Perfect...  – (May 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM)  

Whoa - I'm impressed! I don't have any cool household tips exactly, but I can say that as a nurse, I've found that 409 really removes blood stains from clothes. Is that creepy that I know that?!

The Blonde Duck  – (May 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM)  

It looks totally brand new!

Bartender's Friend. It's like a little container of white powder you get in the soap section. It totally gets that film off your steel non-stick pots. Or, if you burn a pot bottom, it fixes that. It's also really good for getting films and soap residue off metal sheet pans after baking. And it does a really good job to clean the sink!

That's Mrs. Russell  – (May 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM)  

I had absolutely NO idea about the toothpaste thing. It worked wonderfully though.

gigi  – (May 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM)  

the list of uses for toothpaste just keeps growing! teeth, nail holes in walls, jewelry & now silver polishing~ who knew??? ;) thanks for the tip!

Gleatie  – (May 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM)  

Hey! That looks awesome! I am totally going to remember that one! What a great little (semi) secret!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP